If you are stuck without power in your home, panic can set in quickly. Try to stay calm and know that the situation is temporary. Power is usually restored in a few hours. Depending on your utility company and severity of the outage, it can be a few days.
If you’re in a life threatening situation, please call 911 or head to the nearest emergency room. While this may seem obvious, panic has a way of clouding even the best thinkers.
During a power outage here are some tips we’d like to share with you:
- If your carbon monoxide alarm goes off; move quickly outdoors, by an open window/door and if possible get outside.
- Turn off, or preferably unplug all unnecessary electrical equipment, including electronics which are sensitive.
- Turn off or disconnect any appliances (e.g., microwaves, stoves, dishwashers), electronics (e.g., computers, TVs etc.) you were using when the power went out. The power will come back on and when it does comes back on, surges or spikes can damage equipment. Don’t forget to leave one light turned on so you’ll know when the power comes back on!
- Keep your freezer and refrigerator doors closed as much as possible. An unopened refrigerator will keep foods cold for roughly 4 hours.
- Using candles can be very dangerous, but will provide a source of light where necessary. Be sure not to place near anything that can catch fire.
- Never use a generator, propane grill, small camp stove, propane, natural- gas- or charcoal-burning devices inside.
The Generac company has a useful page on their website all about how to prepare for high winds and thunder storms which can quickly leave you in an emergency situation.